By Alcina Charlie, Senior Communications – Website & eMarketing: What an adventure this was going to be for this team of 4, and especially for our student intern from France, Noemie, who attached with us for 6 weeks before finishing the following week. Our activity for the end of January was trekking up to the top of an extinct volcano on Nguna Island. We left Port Vila on a generously discounted Hertz (thanks Bernie and team!) that took us to Emua landing at north Efate, cruising in full comfort, style, and speed. At the wharf we then got on a feisty boat ride, feisty meaning we needed to boat fast so cutting through choppy waters wouldn’t be a tad unpleasant for the stomach (hopefully), prior to arriving at our destination. Luckily, yes the sea was quite rough that day, the closer we got to the island the calmer the waves became and soon after, we got off at a beautiful location on the western side of island. The beach was combed with tropical greenery and what seemed an easy, almost asleep village, plotted immediately after the fringe along the beach. Wow! it was so peaceful where we were.
Thursday, February 5, 2015
Archaeological evidence indicates that, by 1300 B.C, islands in northern Vanuatu had been settled by people of the Lapita culture from the Melanesian islands to the west. Since then, there have been successive waves of migrants, including people of Polynesian origins on the southern islands of Aniwa and Futuna. The region was part of the Tongan Empire into the 14th century and by the 17th Century many European sailors had visited briefly and some stayed at longer intervals. The name ‘New Hebrides’ was given to the islands by Captain James Cook on his visit in 1774 and in 1789 the islands were called at by rescuers seeking Captain Bligh and his officers, who had been turned loose with provisions in an open boat after the mutiny on the Bounty. During the 19th century French and English Christian missionaries and some traders and planters settled on some of the islands which became an Anglo–French condominium by 1906.
Posted by AlcinasBlog at 6:10 PM